"Its Not What, Its How" Edition - Last Weeks Links

I noticed a kind of theme in the articles that stuck out to me last week. It was a theme that sounded of reason and people showing genuine concern and care for people and realistically solving issues. This spans all the areas of articles of the following links, but I think it boils down to how we approach the issues and people of life. It is not about what the issue is, about what is right or wrong, nearly as much as it is about how we interact and approach the issue. For instance, the article on winning a culture war and losing a generation by Rachel Held Evans is tremendously important. Interestingly, the poll results posted by Ed Stetzer at LifeWay Research follow that article very well, demonstrating the split on homosexuality that exists. Personally, on this issue I choose to limit myself to loving people as they are, and living in a manner that does not need to make people accept their folly first, but rather that a loving God compels them ever closer to him, thus transforming lives. This is what I feel is happening in my life, because God knows I'm not even close to being perfect, even if I don't know quite yet what it is that I'm supposed to be transformed from/to!

But this idea that it is how we approach life, rather than proving whether it is right or wrong lead me to the other MUST read this week. Richard Lugar's piece in the New York Times is a great read.

Stephen Prothero looks at the National Day of Prayer in an interesting way. I liked this article, even if not necessarily agreeing with everything.

Finally, the Ryan McGee piece was very well done. I hope the NFL doesn't need to have a death at the profile of Dale Earnhardt the way NASCAR and the rest of motorsports did at the turn of the century.

The bottom line, at least for me, is that when we get up close and personal with people who are different from us, the issues take a back seat to the person. I believe its how we approach issues, not what stance we have on the issues, that really shows the condition of our heart. After all, are we not all wrong sometimes? Rather, listen to a compassionate, reasoned, and understanding voice. I believe that is what links these articles together this week.

Theology:
Rachel Held Evans - Winning a cultural war and losing a generation: http://rachelheldevans.com/win-culture-war-lose-generation-amendment-one-north-carolina

Ed Stetzer - LifeWay Research poll results - Is homosexuality a sin:

Stephen Prothero via CNN - National Day of Prayer prayer: http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/05/03/dear-god-how-to-pray-on-national-prayer-day/

Politics:

Sports & Safety:
Ryan McGee via ESPN - Comparing the current NFL safety concerns with the crisis motorsports encountered a decade ago: http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7915908/nfl-learn-racing

Comments

Popular Posts